We kind of went a little overboard with our tomatoes this year. We grew several hanging baskets, several grow bags and several tubs. Far too many for us to eat all in one go. Below is a recipe for making a tomato pasta sauce. We used all cherry tomatoes, both red and yellow so our sauce turned out a little orange rather than red. Its tasty all the same though.
As many tomatoes as you can fit in a tin. Chopped up into halves or quarters
A large onion, chopped
3 Cloves of garlic
Basil and Oregano
Place all the ingredients in a roasting tin with a little olive oil and cook in the oven for about 30-40mins until soft.
Strain off any excess liquid and then blast them in a food processor.
Season if needed.
We decided to try our hand at pickling a few different types of onions. Like our garlic they looked like a few of them were starting to get a little mouldy so we pulled them up early to save what we could and binned the rest.
At the weekend I got busy baking a loaf of courgette and mushroom bread. It was very tasty! I recommend it to anyone with a glut of courgettes. I only needed to add half of the amount of recommended water and needed quite a bit more flour whilst kneading. So you might wish to bear that in mind.
Courtesy of my colleague David for the recipe and my neighbour for the rhubarb, I tried out a new recipe this weekend. Its very easy to make and super tasty too.
100g of butter
100g of caster sugar
4 egg yolks
250g of plain flour
1tsp of baking powder
1. Cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Add one egg yolk at a time until its all mixed in together
3. Add the flour a litte at a time until its all mixed together and a smooth pastry is formed.
4. Roll out the pastry and place in a greased muffin tin. (Makes approx 18-20 small pies)
600g of uncooked rhubarb cut into small pieces
60g of corn flour
4 egg whites
200g caster sugar
1. Mix the chopped rhubarb with the cornflour.
2. Whisk the egg whites together until you can form soft peaks.
3. Gradually add the sugar into the egg whites.
4. Fold the rhubarb into the egg whites and sugar mix.
Place the meringue mixture into the pastry cases. Cook for 20mins at 170